Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The "Mile-a-Minute Afghan" Pattern is a Lie

I don't like making afghans. I went through a phase early in my crocheting career making baby ones like the Super Mario Bros. star blanket and the pixel blanket, but both of those were a torture to finish. So I'm not sure what corner of my brain thought it was a great idea to make K a giant king-sized afghan. Lest you think I'm completely altruistic, the hidden reason for this huge undertaking is that I absolutely hate this crochet blanket that K's great-grandmother made him. He brought this hideous shamrock green and rainbow ombre monstrosity out of storage in the winter of 2009 and wanted to use it on our bed.
  • K: "But it's warm, sweetie. Trust me, when it gets into the 30's at night, you'll be thankful."
  • Me: "I don't care; the thing is hurting my eyes. I will make you a new blanket to replace it if you get rid of this."
  • K: "Really?"
  • Me: "Sure, it doesn't look that hard." <-- famous last words
Two and half years later, I finally finished the largest craft undertaking of my life. The pattern is deceivingly called the "Mile-a-Minute Afghan," but when you're making something that's roughly 9 feet by 8 feet, it doesn't matter how hole-y the design is – it's going to take a while.
  • Pro: the pattern is simple enough to make in the dark, which is why it was my go-to project to bring to anime nights. 
  • Con: It's. So. Tedious. 
When fall of 2010 rolled around, K mentioned, "Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if you got that blanket done in time for winter?" and I answered, "Mm-hmm" and looked away guiltily. In 2011, he gave a meaningful look at the giant trash bag full of half-crocheted blanket pieces, and I responded by rolling it down the stairs and stuffing it in a forgotten corner of the basement.  By 2012, K just stopped asking. So imagine his surprise when I actually finished it! He was in luck. I had capped off another long time project, the baby Link costume, just in time for Halloween, and decided to look at my current WIPs before starting on the Christmas crafts. To think, I was just one column from completion all this time! Without further ado, here's the infamous afghan project that I can finally wash my hands of:

Super Mario Bros. fire flower mile-a-minute crochet afghan
Yes, it actually covers the entire king-size bed... and then some.

Close-up of Super Mario Bros. fire flower mile-a-minute crochet afghan
So... many... double crochet stitches...

Super Mario Bros. fire flower mile-a-minute crochet afghan
Note how a certain someone always ends up rolling to the middle of the bed

You probably can't tell, but this is secretly a geeky blanket because K chose the palette to be a darker version of the famous Super Mario Bros. fire flower. Very autumn-esque, in my opinion, and just in time for Thanksgiving. :) Happy Turkey Day to all of you, and talk to you again after the break!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... Love your humor! Love the colors of the blanket as well. I think they work nicely together. I am in the process of making this pattern that my grandmother gave me yet, it appears to not be the same pattern or I am whacky! :) I have frogged it twice and the is only the 1st strip!!!! Wish me luck :)

A Gamer's Wife said...

Yeah, I think there are many variations of this blanket. Best of luck! Hope it won't take you as long as it did for me. :)

BeeAndKay said...

I love how this looks. Congrats on sticking it out!

A Gamer's Wife said...

Awww, thank you! I need to finish the border so the ends don't unravel but it's so daunting. :O